Such a wake-up call brings the unstylish Andy Sachs to her senses as Miranda Priestley, impeccably played by Meryl Streep as her boss and editor-in-chief of Runway magazine in The Devil Wears Prada, bluntly educates her on how important fashion is to people’s lives. Only she can dictate what is in and out of fashion. So in this article, we try to imitate the character of the dragon lady in the way she speaks, and the adjectives she would use ruthlessly, or sometimes appreciatively, but never inadequately or lost.
Perhaps you are an Andy Sachs wearing the wrong clothes and everything, and you badly need a makeover. For a start, let’s pretend these are the words of a fashion dictator like Chanel ,Wintour, or Lagerfeld, and of course, the fictional Miranda Priestley, and discuss the worst things people wear on the streets.
25 Worst Trends:
- Thongs-on-show. Lingerie is currently trending by being worn as outerwear, with G-strings or the so-called “whale-tail” for big exception. In any case, we’d rather be called ugly than cheap, yet it’s better to avoid hearing both.
- Crocs. They’re quite too ugly for a pair of comfortable shoes. Why did they have to look like that?
- Mom Pants. These are frightful. Terrible for the bum. I never want to see these again!
- Overalls. How appalling! Who made them?
- Denim Plus Denim. Britney and Justin already got enough criticism for their matching head-to-toe denim looks.
- Platform Sneakers. An utter disaster!
- Ultra Skinny Jeans On Men. Now does it remind you of someone? The unsightly tight-on-every-bulge look may have been a hit in the 80’s but this is 2012.
- Tights or Leggings worn As Jeans. “Did you smack you little head on the pavement on your way down?,” says Mrs. Priestley. Perhaps you’ve forgotten that they’re not supposed to be outerwear. Besides, they make you look like you’re about to dive into a pool and train dolphins.
- Colored Jeans. The fad is sickening. Don’t you ever get tired of it?
- White jeans. Boring…
- Floral Leggings. Apparently, you don’t know how ridiculous you’d look in these.
- Tracksuits. On your way to the gym? Stay there and don’t come out until you’ve got some decent clothes on.
- Shell Suits. If you think these are fashionable, you’re dead wrong.
- Daisy dukes. They only look good on Jessica Simpson, in her These Boots Are Made For Walking video.
- Moon Dresses. Unless you are in desperate need of attention, you may wear them to the mall, to the park and anywhere in the urban jungle.
- Clogs. You’re not really considering this, are you?
- Furry Boots. So ghetto.
- Bare Midriffs. Only pop stars can pull it off. Ordinary people would look improper in it.
- Dorky Sweaters. Need I say more?
- Matching Checks. Remember what happened when Burberry sponsored Victoria Beckham’s look? She unnecessarily wore the signature checks from top-to-toe. Such a catastrophe.
- Chokers. Chic, but unhealthy, knowing that they cut off all circulation to the brain.
- Cat’s Eye Sunglasses. Perfect for costume parties!
- Black lips. Are you trying to do gothic?
- Strong Eye, Strong Lip. You can only go for dark eye shadow and full-colored lipstick one at a time. Have both on, and you’re ready to be a drag queen.
Back to The Devil Wears Prada…
Dressed in a plain cerulean sweater, granny skirt, black leggings, and hideous big-heeled shoes, Sachs or the new Emily, stands dumbfounded as she realizes that the fashion world isn’t as shallow as she thought , and she still has got a lot to learn. But first, the ‘simple’ clothes must go.